My leg workout is a little less than traditional. I tried for years to get my legs to respond without incorporating regular and jump squats. I always worked very hard but didn’t see the results I wanted. My bird legs just wouldn’t grow. Finally (with the bossy….I mean, sweet encouragement of a certain muscled-up Marine) I had to man up. I started squatting and saw a marked difference. I added jump squats and saw an even bigger difference. While this is a sample of one of my workouts, I often do regular and jump squats on the same day. Once in a while for an added boost, I’ll do one set of regular squats then one set of jump squats, just alternating between the two. On those days, I’ll usually drop the lunges or just do them with bodyweight.
- Cardio: 30 min steady state on Stairmaster
- Walking lunges: 80 consecutive steps bodyweight only (on days you want more of a challenge, hop up from the lunge instead of keeping your feet on the ground), 40 consecutive steps with moderate weight (holding dumbbells), 2 sets of 20 with heavy weight (holding dumbbells).
- Jumping Squats: 6 sets – 5 add sets of 20, 15, 10, 8, 6 reps and 1 moderate set to failure
- Stiff-legged deadlifts: 4 sets 8-10 reps
- Standing Calf Raise: 5 sets 10 reps
When doing the jumping squats I start off with low weight (30lbs) and high reps (20) and gradually move up to heavy weight (100lbs) and lower reps (6). I find my body appreciates the warm up sets…
Here is a link to a VERY high quality video of my jumping squats http://youtu.be/a3AFSG15joA